The Next meeting of the koto board of directors will be tuesday june 19th at 5:15pm in the program room of the wilkinson library.

SMEF Board of Directors Meeting Wilkinson Library, Meeting Room 5, Telluride, CO May 22, 2018

MINUTES

Present: Jennie Thomas (JT, by phone), Mark Izard (MI), Kathleen Erie (KE), Norman Squier (NS), Jim Berkowitz (JB), Lucas Price (LP), Mark Dollard (MD)

Absent: None

MI called the meeting to order at 5:22 PM

  1. Public comment

    1. None present

  1. Executive session – Ride festival contract

    1. Delayed until Ride rep arrives

  1. Old business

    1. MD made motion to approve meeting minutes from April as presented and waive reading. LP seconded. No discussion. Passed unanimously.

    2. Van donated by Baked in Telluride. BK1 asked if it made sense to retain the van for use by the station. Last month the Board gave BK1 direction to price out wrapping the van and all other carrying costs (insurance, maint.). Wrap cost came in at $2,000 – which everyone agrees is too much.  Broad concern expressed about taking on these overall costs. More support among Board for fixing it up slightly and selling it to realize positive cash benefit from the gift.

    3. Geoff has reserved Village Table for June 7 Silver Tongue.

    4. Romancing the Radio – written by Mavis Bennett in 1990 celebrating KOTO at 15 years old. MI noted how much things are still THE SAME.

    5. Tree fell on Cara and MI’s cars from the neighbor’s lot. As a result, we are going to take down the gate on this neighbor’s side of the studio. The tree was very old and rotted on the inside. BK1 asking neighbor (and documenting it in writing) to test their other large, menacing tree to see how its core looks and if it too might be at risk of falling over.

    6. San Miguel County Green Grant still alive. MD moving on from Coolings and calling Snipps. Telluride Maintenance preparing estimate for window and door work.

  1. Financials – Audit update/CPB deadline

    1. KE reported that we are $3,000 ahead on our P&L and $15,000 ahead on the Balance Sheet, when compared to last year. Both good points.

    2. KE reported that the 5.625% mortgage we have on the purple house is coming due in March 2019. MD will visit with Alpine Bank to get conversation started about a refinance.

    3. CPB Deadline with our extension is now July 31. KE will get it done in June. Auditors are being non-responsive. There was broad support on the Board for KE to work with BK2 on communicating to the auditors that we are very much on a time crunch with our CPB deadline. KE will do this. BK2 is learning things very well and KE is encouraged.

    4. NPR debt is paid off and we are current in that payable account. Great news that greatly improves our Balance Sheet.

  1. New Business

    1. Broad consensus on Board that a part-time Executive Director position be included in the 2019 budget. A good person in this position would hold twice monthly staff meetings, work with each staff member to set and define annual/quarterly goals and review these during monthly (or twice monthly) one-on-one meetings, help staff develop Standard Operating Procedures and continually improve them. Build structure, set strategic goals and timelines to achieve them. Timing to start looking for such a person in earnest would be 3Q/4Q of this year.

  1. Executive Session with The Ride – MI took us into exec session at 6:25 PM. MI took us out of exec session at 7:00 PM

  1. Staff and board committee reports

    1. Emergency Broadcasting Committee– Cara and JT visited with Susan Lily, PIO from the San Miguel County Sheriff’s Office, after which Cara prepared a document that all DJs will need to sign off on if they want to stay on the air.  This document will cover the DJs responsibilities in the area of getting emergency announcements on the air. BK1 is exploring cost of new electric start generator – which is a big need to ensure we can be on air quickly during a blackout – and BK1 is also approaching the Town about keeping this generator in the same spot on their land where we have the big dish. This important committee will have full report at June meeting. BK1 has a lead on a $650 generator from Socko and he will update soon. It would replace the old generator that you have to start like an old lawnmower…Geoff affirmed, and the Board agreed, that at this point the lawnmower should still live on the dance floor only.

    2. Scholarship Committee – JT provided  update on the SMEF Scholarship. June 4th at 6 PM is the date of the awards ceremony at the school and JT will do the presentation – we get 2 minutes to discuss the award, etc. and there was broad Board consensus that JT would be the terrific representative for the Board to do this.  MI will write a letter from the Board that will accompany the check.

    3. Geoff, Cara and Heidi arrived at 7:15 PM. Each submitted their own staff reports to the Board that were reviewed prior to the meeting.

  1. Website/IT update

    1. MD attaching the minutes from the last Technology Committee meeting to this record. JB and MD will meet prior to June meeting to begin process of formally gathering input from the staff for the new site and interviewing web site developers who might do the work. Also, will unearth social media campaign used two years ago at Bluegrass for re-use/updating for this June’s Bluegrass Festival.

    2. JB expressed his desire to keep the idea formulation and plan implementation at the committee level. First steps will be to meet with staff to gather their needs, things they currently like and dislike, etc.

    3. Cara reached out to many public radio stations and the majority of the people that replied said they have their sites on Core Publisher.

    4. Heidi should definitely be on IT Committee. Her responsibilities include maintenance of the web site and doing updates so it makes sense. She has skills in this area and the Board is recognizing that she can fulfill the amount of internal IT responsibilities the station needs.

    5. Cara and Heidi running Bluegrass broadcast together. Team is put together.

    6. Bluegrass Social Media – Heidi will take lead on this after meeting with IT Committee. More social media advertising will be put in place. See IT Committee meeting minutes.

  1. Adjourn – MI adjourned the meeting at 7:58 PM.

Minutes taken and submitted by Mark Dollard.

 

SMEF Board of Directors Meeting  Wilkinson Library, Meeting Room 5, Telluride, CO

May 22, 2018  MINUTES (draft)

Present: Jennie Thomas (JT, by phone), Mark Izard (MI), Kathleen Erie (KE), Norman Squier (NS), Jim Berkowitz (JB), Lucas Price (LP), Mark Dollard (MD)

Absent: None

MI called the meeting to order at 5:22 PM

I.            Public comment

a.  None present

II.          Executive session – Ride festival contract

a.  Delayed until Ride rep arrives

III.        Old business

a.  MD made motion to approve meeting minutes from April as presented and waive reading. LP seconded. No discussion. Passed unanimously.

b.  Van donated by Baked in Telluride. BK1 asked if it made sense to retain the van for use by the station. Last month the Board gave BK1 direction to price out wrapping the van and all other carrying costs (insurance, maint.). Wrap cost came in at $2,000 – which everyone agrees is too much.  Broad concern expressed about taking on these overall costs.  More support among Board for fixing it up slightly and selling it to realize positive cash benefit from the gift.

c.   Geoff has reserved Village Table for June 7 Silver Tongue.

d.  Romancing the Radio – written by Mavis Bennett in 1990 celebrating KOTO at 15 years old. MI noted how much things are still THE SAME.

e.  Tree fell on Cara and MI’s cars from the neighbor’s lot. As a result, we are going to take down the gate on this neighbor’s side of the studio. The tree was very old and rotted on the inside. BK1 asking neighbor (and documenting it in writing) to test their other large, menacing tree to see how its core looks and if it too might be at risk of falling over.

f.    San Miguel County Green Grant still alive. MD moving on from Coolings and calling Snipps. Telluride Maintenance preparing estimate for window and door work.

IV.        Financials – Audit update/CPB deadline

a.  KE reported that we are $3,000 ahead on our P&L and $15,000 ahead on the Balance Sheet, when compared to last year. Both good points.

b.  KE reported that the 5.625% mortgage we have on the purple house is coming due in March 2019. MD will visit with Alpine Bank to get conversation started about a refinance.

c.   CPB Deadline with our extension is now July 31. KE will get it done in June. Auditors are being non-responsive. There was broad support on the Board for KE to work with BK2 on communicating to the auditors that we are very much on a time crunch with our CPB deadline. KE will do this. BK2 is learning things very well and KE is encouraged.

d.  NPR debt is paid off and we are current in that payable account. Great news that greatly improves our Balance Sheet.

V.          New Business

a.  Broad consensus on Board that a part-time Executive Director position be included in the 2019 budget. A good person in this position would hold twice monthly staff meetings, work with each staff member to set and define annual/quarterly goals and review these during monthly (or twice monthly) one-on-one meetings, help staff develop Standard Operating Procedures and continually improve them. Build structure, set strategic goals and timelines to achieve them. Timing to start looking for such a person in earnest would be 3Q/4Q of this year.

 

VI.        Executive Session with The Ride – MI took us into exec session at 6:25 PM. MI took us out of exec session at 7:00 PM

 

VII.      Staff and board committee reports

a.  Emergency Broadcasting Committee– Cara and JT visited with Susan Lily, PIO from the San Miguel County Sheriff’s Office, after which Cara prepared a document that all DJs will need to sign off on if they want to stay on the air.  This document will cover the DJs responsibilities in the area of getting emergency announcements on the air. BK1 is exploring cost of new electric start generator – which is a big need to ensure we can be on air quickly during a blackout – and BK1 is also approaching the Town about keeping this generator in the same spot on their land where we have the big dish. This important committee will have full report at June meeting. BK1 has a lead on a $650 generator from Socko and he will update soon. It would replace the old generator that you have to start like an old lawnmower…Geoff affirmed, and the Board agreed, that at this point the lawnmower should still live on the dance floor only.

b.  Scholarship Committee – JT provided  update on the SMEF Scholarship. June 4th at 6 PM is the date of the awards ceremony at the school and JT will do the presentation – we get 2 minutes to discuss the award, etc. and there was broad Board consensus that JT would be the terrific representative for the Board to do this.  MI will write a letter from the Board that will accompany the check.

c.   Geoff, Cara and Heidi arrived at 7:15 PM. Each submitted their own staff reports to the Board that were reviewed prior to the meeting.

 

VIII.    Website/IT update

a.  MD attaching the minutes from the last Technology Committee meeting to this record. JB and MD will meet prior to June meeting to begin process of formally gathering input from the staff for the new site and interviewing web site developers who might do the work. Also, will unearth social media campaign used two years ago at Bluegrass for re-use/updating for this June’s Bluegrass Festival.

b.  JB expressed his desire to keep the idea formulation and plan implementation at the committee level. First steps will be to meet with staff to gather their needs, things they currently like and dislike, etc.

c.   Cara reached out to many public radio stations and the majority of the people that replied said they have their sites on Core Publisher.

d.  Heidi should definitely be on IT Committee. Her responsibilities include maintenance of the web site and doing updates so it makes sense. She has skills in this area and the Board is recognizing that she can fulfill the amount of internal IT responsibilities the station needs.

e.  Cara and Heidi running Bluegrass broadcast together. Team is put together.

f.    Bluegrass Social Media – Heidi will take lead on this after meeting with IT Committee. More social media advertising will be put in place. See IT Committee meeting minutes.

IX.        Adjourn – MI adjourned the meeting at 7:58 PM.

Minutes taken and submitted by Mark Dollard.

 

 

SMEF Board of Directors Meeting  Wilkinson Public Library

April 23, 2018

MEETING MINUTES

Meeting called to order 5:20pm

Board Members Present:

Mark Izard - President

Norman Squire - Vice President

Kathleen Erie - Treasurer

Lucas Price- acting secretary

Jennie Thomas

Jim Berkowitz

 

Board Members Absent:

Mark Dollard - Secretary

 

Public Comment

Wendy DJ Second Star on the Right feels badly about DJ requirements.

JB explained that we need help with fundraising and volunteering at station as well as at events. Jennie noted that people like Wendy are not the problem, that some DJs do not even pay attention to these concerns at all and that her comments were appreciated. More conversation ensued re this. Board suggested that we maintain a 'punch list' of items that need to be taken care of so that there is always something to do.

Old Business

March SMEF BOD meeting minutes passed unanimously.

Ethics policy to be reviewed then sent out to each board member to sign.

Eco-Actions work on KOTO studios is progressing.

We received first and only scholarship application from Soleil Gaylord.

CPB Audit Update - Pete Blair and Associates (deemed not as responsive as we'd like them to be) working on making deadline of May 31st, but might require an extension as it is a lengthy and difficult process.

KE shared that the YTD P and L looks good and that the balance sheet also is in good shape (cash up 30k and current liabilities down 30k). We are "totally current" with NPR.

Raffle tickets/Equipment - MI noted that at bottom of raffle tickets, it stated that the proceeds of raffle will fund equipment purchases. KE to cut check directly to equipment supplier.  Conversation ensued re the need for a new mixing board ($300) and possibly a translator upgrade for 89.3 ($6k). Geoff in his report stated that we need a generator for power outages and discussion ensued re various options. A better generator at the very least and possibly one that automatically turns on when power goes out. These automatic generators require a significant amount of physical space and require an electrician to hook up.

DJs need to be trained on how to power on generator as well as how to respond to incoming calls from local authorities and to fulfill our mission in re to informing the public during times of crisis. A protocol to be developed and Djs will be "recertified" on this issue. JT and Kara to form committee to attend to this.

Next board meeting in May scheduled for May 22nd due to several board members not being able to attend.

Hiring update etc.. - New hire Wendy is part time and not currently able to deal with IT issues. We need (for CPB rules) to have either 2 part time or one full time and we need a tech savvy staff member. We also need a fully functional (not square space which was supposed to only be temporary) website.  Thus, after much conversation, LP made motion that " JB work with BK1 to identify exactly what we need in a website, put out a request for proposal (RFP) to 10-12 website developers that would include a contract for a 3 -5 year maintenance plan. The request would identify KOTO as a worthy recipient of reduced cost. JT seconded and it passed unanimously. We also agreed that BK1 is to hire a part time staff member to deal with technical issues.

Staff Reports

Geoff not present, but comments on generator were brought up.

Ben commented on some equipment issues when asked. Did bring up that Jerry Green donated a used BIT van that is worth around 2k, needs a new wheel, starts right up and that is only 2 wheel drive and could be used as a very visible remote mobile studio. Not sure if we need it and if affordable. BK1 looking into costs of insurance etc..

Kara would like Ajax Cleaners (offering off-season deal of $150) to do a deep clean downstairs.

Staff discussed Ride Festival beer sales contract and legality of current proposal put forth by Ride Festival. KE and MI to meet with Todd and Robin soon.

NS brought to our attention that comments were made to him re the Street Dance and the lack of water, food and proper judges as well as line of sight. Will bring to Geoff's attention.

 

Minutes taken by Lucas Price.